Sunday, October 16, 2005

Notes on the Millions More Movement

Hetep family
These are my observations of the Millions More Movement, Oct 15, which I just attended. First, I have attended every march that held the name "Million", from the first MMM, to the million women in Philly, to million youth in Harlem, and million family in DC. In each case I took careful observations, and I feel qualified to give a first hand account.
The Million More march, first off, elated and disappointed me both. I was elated at the chance to attend the 10th anniversary, and looked forward to some concrete things getting accomplished, and at the chance for my wife and children to attend with me. The first MMM affected me greatly, and I wanted my kids to feel what it was like, the power. I wanted them to see Blacks that stood up for something, to see Blacks that act as men and women, that had pride and honor and responsibility and love for each other. This I accomplished. My children listened [as much as young kids can] to the speeches, waved the red, black and green flag, and danced when Wyclef performed, smiling broadly! I was elated to see the Nation of Islam out in all their garb, the men looking clean and strong, the women looking dignified and purposeful. I saw Nationalists from all over, each in their kufu, or Malcolm t-shirt, or African wear, or fatigues, looking like they ready to build a nation. I saw regular Black folks, ready, eager to participate in the "plan", and waiting to hear just what the "plan" was. I did NOT see all the new "invitees" such as hispanics, poor whites, liberals, and Native Americans. I saw 99% Blacks making up the crowd, and wondered about why we invited the others at all, seeing that they didn't actually show up. I was proud of us, elated! It was a great day.

I listened to the speeches, which carried a common enough theme that after the first 3 hours they seemed to blend into one speech. Again, I was elated, hearing us from all over america, talking that talk! No one got on the mic and said anything truly stupid, it was great that these people had a national forum, even if they only got 30 seconds apiece. The passion in some of those speeches! Especially the young! It was a beautiful thing to see....
There was truly a spirit of peace and love at the MMM 05, and I tried to soak up every bit of it. But there were some disturbing aspects as well.......

The Turnout.

I attended the first MMM, I attend the West Indian Parade in Brooklyn every year since the 80`s, so Im used to being in large crowds in a rectangular space, and can estimate how many people are in the crowd. The Brooklyn parade on labor day is usually 2-4 million, and based on that crowd [in a rectangle, Eastern Pkwy], the first MMM [in a rectangle] had over 1million people, and I was one of them. This years MMM was maybe, maybe 200,000! Since the first MMM was limited to Black males, and was universally critized and ridiculed, then why was it at least 5 times bigger than this one? I was saddened when I actually saw the crowd midway through, the first MMM was shoulder to shoulder all the way to Washington's monument, but this one wasnt shoulder to shoulder anywhere, not even up front! All the churches and org`s than didnt participate last time, and said they was down this time, where were they? For that matter, the warriors that surrounded me at the first wasnt there either. Was the "inclusiveness" of this MMM the reason?

All in all it was a lovely experience, that seemed devoid of the power of the first MMM. Although spiritual energy and love was everywhere that day, it seemed to be.....directionless, unfocused. The speakers tried hard to focus the crowd, but you know who, other than Minister Farrakhan, focused the crowd actually at the event? Wyclef Jean. His music ignited the children, mine included, and rose the energy level significantly...a lesson i wont soon forget. Even with the lack of turnout this was still a landmark event, and should become a national Black ritual....I truly hope it does.

Never Forget!

1 Comments:

Blogger Seshat said...

Critical things are missing from this post. I am talking about the ministries and land that Farrakhan spoke of. I would like to hear you analysis of what he said and you opinion on what it will take to make it.

I look to you warrior.

Sesa

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

What HAS to be done, WILL be done